Monday, November 8, 2010

Lunch....amongst other things.

Today Gary took the questionable book to school and talked with the principal about it. As a result the school are creating a shelf in the library with books on it that may only be checked out with a parent's permission.

1. I am thankful for the outcome of Gary's chat with the Principal. Contrary to what you often get told by the media, I don't think public schools/the government are trying to fill our children with immoral knowledge. Our school has proved that it welcomes involvement from parents and is not going to support the teaching of topics that parents don't want taught. But what I have taken from this in particular is that we need to remain extremely involved in our children's lives and it is worth flicking through innocent looking library books.

2. I am thankful for change. With daylight savings time making it darker in the evenings, it brings my children inside and closer to us and our influence over the winter. As opposed to the influence of the boy next door they love to spend time with, who has a much more colorful vocabulary than we would wish our own children to have.

3. I am thankful for technology that closes the huge gap that exists between me and my family. An hour's chat with my sister costs next to nothing and with webcams I can soon see her new house for myself in real time without actually being there. It means I can live here happily while still being as close as ever with my Mum and Sister.

4. I am thankful for the opportunity I have had living here to experience different cultures. For example I had never had a cheese quesadilla until I moved here. I could mention tons of other stuff but lately I've just had a thing for quesadillas.

5. I am thankful that when I washed the covers of my sofa cushions today they didn't shrink. That one's a little lame but it's mostly the little everyday things which add up to a contented me.

2 comments:

Colleen said...

Great outcome! Good job you two, and good job school. I agree with the dark early. I love your perspective.

Mamapierce said...

I would be happy with your #5, myself. :D