Friday, November 12, 2010

The end of the week.

Why is it, that Gary can be sat on the couch doing absolutely nothing and I am in the kitchen up to my elbows in dinner (hot open oven, serving up without a hand free)and suddenly all the children need me to get them things or do something for them?

Today has not been the greatest day ever. Some weeks just leave me feeling drained and today was the culmination of one of those weeks. I am TIRED. Oliver is going through a phase where he can just scream for half an hour at a time. This is not upset screaming, this is exercising his voice/exploring cause and effect type of screaming so I'm not upset with him but it does put me on edge and give me a headache. Oliver is also in the throes of a pretty good cold. I think that's a major reason for me feeling drained. He is just fussy a lot of the time and taking care of him is a messy business with all the green snot which gets in his hair when he's sleeping, together with all the drool from all the teething he is doing.

About three weeks ago I decided to try grocery shopping online. I did it for three weeks and it's not the cheapest way to go about things since there's a delivery fee on top of the cost of the groceries but it's certainly convenient. I immediately fell in love with the process. I spend a little time in front of my computer (as I do anyway in the course of a day)and the next morning, along come all my groceries, right into my kitchen with no effort from me. I've done it now three times. Well today was grocery shopping day and I decided that I needed the extra $10 to spend on holiday stuff like stuffing, turkey, cranberry sauce etc.. and so I took Oliver and off we went. About half way around I remembered why I turned to online shopping in the first place. Because I HATE grocery shopping with a passion.
Oliver was just not feeling wonderful due to the cold and so he was crying practically the whole way around. I wouldn't give him my shopping list or my pen so he would start to scream. I would give him another pen or another piece of paper but it wouldn't do. He wanted whatever was in my hand and nothing else. I got plenty of sympathy from passers by but any mother knows that's not really appreciated. Nor the "oh poor baby" remarks. Dragging a loaded-down cart to the car in almost freezing temperatures knowing Oliver's cheeks are getting windburned is no fun either. Neither is unloading it all. I think it's back to the online shop next week.

And you know how yesterday, the love the other kids have for Oliver was something to be thankful for. Well today I could seriously do without it. Since he's grumpy he's often best left alone. He'll be quietly sitting there and one of the others will swoop in on him and he's screaming again. AHHHHHHH!

Then Gary walked through the door after work and let me know that he forgot to tell me it was game night tonight and he wanted to leave in a hour. I think how I felt instantly showed up on my face. He later told me he had decided not to go because he had to help a friend out with his resume and that he would do that tonight. I think he knew I was at the end of my rope. So that's what I'll begin my list with. Forgive the other lame stuff. Today I'm stretched a bit thin.

1. I am thankful that Gary could tell that I needed him this evening without me having to say anything. I know without a doubt we are all his priority.

2. I am thankful that the kids will be in bed soon. I need quiet.

3. I am thankful that we got a replacement part for our phone set-up today. The line has been terrible this whole week and it's totally annoyed me. Now the line is crystal clear. May it stay that way.

4. I am thankful for fudge covered mint oreos. It's one of those holiday limited editions that I wait for eagerly each year. It will be just the thing this evening while I'm watching one of my favorite TV shows Medium.

5. I am thankful for locking door knobs. I installed three today to keep my kids out of our storage room, the spare room and the game closet. That's a story for another day. Suffice it to say, I wish my children were always obedient but sadly they are not.

2 comments:

Mamapierce said...

(((HUGS))) to you on this difficult day. I hope those oreos will help. :D

I am so interested in this online shopping that you mentioned. What website(s) do you use???

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that Gary was able to read you emotions! What a blessing! (Good on ya Gary. ;) I need online grocery shopping....does papajohns.com count? j/k I'm about ready to instrall locking door knobs as well! (KIDS!!)