Tuesday, November 23, 2010

$100+ for one family meal - sounds reasonable right?

Today I stopped to think about how much money I was spending on food for one day (Thanksgiving) and it blew my mind. Here is our menu.

Appetisers

  • Crab Rangoon
  • Spinach dip in Hawaiian bread
  • Smoked Paprika and Garlic dip with vegetable tray
  • Devilled Eggs
  • Little Smokies

I'm also putting out pistachios and clementines which will likely get eaten as well.

Dinner

  • Turkey which will have been brined and gravy
  • Cranberry sauce
  • Cranberry stuffing
  • Glazed carrots
  • Sweet potato casserole
  • Mashed potatoes
  • Green bean casserole

Dessert

  • Apple pie and cream
  • Prism Cake (a jello dessert that has become tradition in our house)

The kids will also want me to make them pancakes for breakfast and I've also bought some Italian soda from World Market.

I can at least comfort myself with the fact that the leftovers should last us a few days as well, so that I don't feel completely disgusted with myself. I estimate I spent at least $100 on the festivities. Is this normal people out there? I hope someone can let me know. I've done Thanksgiving for years now but not often stopped to weigh in on the excess of it all.

All that being said I LOVE to cook and will thoroughly enjoy the whole day. It's just a pity that it's going to be so cold because Gary won't want to put up the Christmas Lights on the house, something that takes all morning and keeps the boys out of my kitchen and my hair.

1. I am thankful that Gary has a good job.

2. I am thankful that my children have all that they need and more.

3. I am thankful that I've never been hungry unless it was a choice (dieting etc...)

4. I am thankful for the tradition of Thanksgiving. Even though the history behind the holiday makes me want to raise my eyebrows, the practice of giving thanks is commendable and something we should all do more often.

5. I am thankful that although my house isn't as perfectly put together as I'd like, it makes up for it in other ways. I have a centerpiece for the table on Thanksgiving which is an apple dressed up to look like a turkey that Leia made. Even if I don't have a completely matching set of dinner plates or even a gravy boat, the food will taste just as wonderful if not better because I'm cooking for 5 amazing people who I'd rather spend time with than anyone else.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess it just depends on how long it lasts you, like you said....somepeople spend that much going out to eat as a family for one meal. This year I spent about $50 for all the Thanksgiving treats and dishes, but we also shared it with another family, so we prepared less than usual. It also helps that our turkey was a smokin' deal at $3.88 for the whole bird!