Saturday, November 6, 2010

Long Stratton - here Leia and I come!

Today I booked tickets for Leia and I to travel to England to visit with my family during 10 days of her Spring Break from school next year. Originally we had planned to take the whole family during next summer but quickly realized the scope of that plan. In order to justify the immense cost (6 transatlantic peak price plane tickets, rental car, spending money) we would have to stay for at least three weeks - the entirety of Gary's work leave at that point. And there would be no time (or money) to visit with Gary's family over the summer. Instead, Gary is going to take 7 days off work to take care of the boys and Leia and I are going by ourselves, leaving time and money for other adventures as well. Excited is too mild of an adjective to describe the way we feel.

1. I am thankful that Gary works hard for our family so that we have all the things we need and some things we really really want as well.

2. I am thankful that I will have a 9 year old companion when I fly to England. Last time I went, I was by myself and going to my father's funeral. This time the reason for our travels will be for fun and there's really no one I'd rather spend 10 hours in an enclosed space with than my daughter.

3. I am thankful to have spent my childhood in one place. Long Stratton is an anchor for me. The home I return to is associated with so many beautiful and happy memories.

4. I am thankful that tonight we put the clocks back. I can either choose to stay up an hour later or get an extra hour of sleep - decisions decisions.

5. I am thankful for discovering a completely inappropriate library book that Leia had checked out of the school library BEFORE she had a chance to read it. Gary can now take it to the school principal himself to ask why our 9 year old daughter has access to books that cover topics such as safe sex, masturbation, sexual attraction, and wet dreams unbeknownst to Gary and I. Leia and I have had the "sex" talk on a level which I felt was appropriate to her age. Since she is not likely to enter puberty for about another 4 years (judging from my own experiences) I reserve the right to delay giving her an all access pass just yet.

3 comments:

Mommo said...

I am happy you get to go home. That will be a wonderful trip for you two to take together!
I am also interested in the reply Gary will get from the school about that book! That is insane! Good thing you found it or you would have had some really serious things to talk about way too soon.

Colleen said...

HOORAY! Home. What a great word. Yikes about the book. Good catch!

Mamapierce said...

I wish that you could take me with you!!!