Thursday, November 11, 2010

4th Grade Musical

A few months ago, Leia asked if she could audition for a part in the 4th grade musical. I said she could and she got a part and had to practice every Monday morning EARLY. I didn't enjoy the early mornings so much but I could tell Leia was having a blast with it. I didn't really have a clear idea of how big the part was or anything. I'd ask her once in a while how things were going, whether she knew her lines etc... I think this was a manifestation of my own anxieties. If I were in a school musical program I think it would have been on my mind rather a lot. She showed no such anxiety.

Tonight was the performance for parents and she had by far the largest part. She said all her lines with complete confidence, she projected her voice and sang wonderfully. She was having a great time. I love it. I would have been paralyzed in front of all those people at her age. She's a little star. After the musical she said to me that she was a bit disappointed because she was hoping it was going to be a play with scenes and acting. I told her to hang on. There will be plenty of opportunities for those kinds of productions as she gets older. It seems we might have a performer on our hands.

1. I am thankful for Leia. She's infectious in a good way. I can't help but smile around her. With a house full of boys she is my little piece of pink in a very blue landscape. She gives me a reason to buy earrings, easy bake ovens, shoes with rhinestones on them, cross stitch kits, dresses, books about fairies, snow globes. She likes what I like and we can curl up on the couch and watch Dancing with the Stars together. I occasionally step on a polly pocket in the dark which are a lot less painful than legos.


2. I am thankful that my children are so happy in their new school. When we moved in May, I was concerned about a tough transition but I worried for nothing.


3. I am thankful that the performance is over. Early mornings where I have to get up and back to the school twice in between caring for my children is hard. And now it's getting really cold. As we walked back home from the school this evening the wind was biting. My head and ears hurt so bad when we got home I had to take ibuprofen. It's like that in the mornings too.


4. I am thankful for the love my children have for each other, more particularly for Oliver. They are constantly concerned about his well being. Spencer sat by him tonight through the whole performance and kept turning the stroller so Oliver could see and he kept clapping his hands for him after each musical number. Each time they have been apart from him or it's Oliver's bedtime/naptime, he is showered in hugs and kisses. Oliver is one lucky little baby.


5. I am thankful that we live a block from the kids' school. Mornings and afternoons are a sea of cars and busyness. We can avoid all that craziness and in the winter months it's not so far that they freeze to death getting there and back. They can also have a little bit of responsibility as I trust them to walk home together.


Here are some pictures of Leia in action.






3 comments:

Mamapierce said...

I love how uninhibited Leia is in all her activities. :)

Anonymous said...

Leia is and has always been a winner! She's got so much spunk and I just love her zest for life! Lucky!

Rachel said...

I am LOVING those pics of Leia! I am so so so so so so glad she is coming with you in March. I adore her!