Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Veterans Day Program

Since the start of school, I have been getting up every Wednesday morning at what has seemed like the crack of dawn to drive Leia to choir practise which takes place an hour before school. I've often wondered what they were so busy practising and this evening we got to find out.

1. I am thankful that I agreed to let Leia do choir this year. It was an absolutely wonderful program and I'm sure there wasn't a dry eye in the place.

2. I am thankful that our friend Chris brought his camera to the program this evening. I decided against bringing mine because every time it seems we get stuck at the back and my pictures are awful. This time we got a front row seat shock horror and I was left wishing I had brought it after all. Chris agreed to take photos of Leia for me and he has some nice equipment!

3. I am thankful and proud that Gary is a Veteran. During the end number which was a mash up of all the branches of the military's theme songs, he could stand up and sing along.

4. I am thankful that our children have good reason to be proud of their father. He gives them reasons every day but tonight was special as we had a chance to talk about what it means to serve your country honorably, which he did for 9 years.

5. I am grateful for a school system that has these extra programs. Not only has Leia been singing every week but she has been learning about the history of our country in a different way which is more likely to mean more to her as she was actively participating by learning lines and songs for the program. It was honestly a delight to see her so animated and proud of herself. She stood on the front row of the choir as she is one of the littler ones and she stood there fearlessly and with such poise, especially when she delivered her line. I'm so proud of the way she is growing up.

3 comments:

Emily Jane said...

I bet she has the voice of an angel... Just like me :-S!!! Ha!

How lovely to hear your appreciation of things. It makes me want to be more grateful for what I have also.

So.... Thank you Sarah!

Emily Jane said...

also... would you mind posting some of the pictures taken of Leia. Would love to see them! xxx

Anonymous said...

How neat--I love that she is getting into singing. Being in choir has always brought so much joy to me. Music has a way of reaching into my soul so much more than most things, so I hope she keeps it up!