Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Reflections on childhood and stuff........

1. I am thankful that Gary has taken the kids to storytime at the school library tonight. It means one hour of total quiet. Even if the kids are in bed, inevitably there is always something. Someone has a sore tummy, someone needs a drink of water, someone is bothering someone else, the lightbulb in a nightlight needs changing or someone is out of batteries for their electronic devise. Hopefully they'll be more tired when they get home and the quiet will remain.

2. I am thankful I got up a little bit earlier than normal this morning. I had forgotten that Leia was giving a little speech in class today and she wanted me to do up her hair. They are doing this virtual community thing where they get a bank account, check book, and get to use it somehow. Today they were trying to get votes to be given a job in the community. Leia wants to be either the Mayor or Bank President. Fortunately, even though she had choir we still got her in her Sunday best and a bun in her hair.

3. I am thankful that Leia is so outgoing. I know that my own parents had a hard time with me and my shyness. Leia was so excited to give her speech to the rest of the class today. That would have been something that would have terrified me. I don't have to send my little girl off to school worrying that she is having a bad time. Instead I can be sure she is having a great time and making the most of every opportunity. Now I just hope she gets the votes for Mayor or Bank President or she'll be disappointed.

4. I am thankful that after all the shyness growing up and some definitely painful teenage years I am at a place where I really like who I am. I'm not saying that to be conceited but I genuinely don't want to be anyone else, I don't envy anyone else, and my life is good. That's not to say that things are perfect. I mean I've just gone through the worst year of my life with the death of my father and financial troubles we never saw coming. But all in all, being comfortable with who I am helps me to get through the hard times.

5. I am thankful for the upbringing I had and the supportive family I have. I think that despite the awkward teenage years I always felt loved and secure at home. I am sure that is the main reason that I am who I am today. My parents were an example to me of so many things. I learned about marriage, responsibility, love, the gospel, the importance of family, and so many more things at home. I hope my own children will remember our home as being the one place they always wanted to be.

No comments: