Friday, October 31, 2008

Tonight

Click to play Halloween Night
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

Halloween this year brought a MAJOR haul. Sometimes, even after 8 years of being a parent in America, it is hard to believe that there really is a holiday where kids go from door to door and people just give them loads of candy. In fact this year I even got given candy myself during the two spinning classes I took this week at the YMCA. Talk about a contradiction. But I happily gave it to the boys when I was done. I wish I could say the same now. My motivation to stay away from it has taken a nose dive and I am chewing away on those yummy DOTS things I only ever get to eat on Halloween. Now I have to figure out what to do with it all. Someone suggested giving the kids a few dollars each in return for the candy and then you can throw it away. I'm not sure Spencer and Nathan will go for it but Leia just might.

3 comments:

jennifer said...

I wish I had kids to trick or treat with, cause I am seriously craving some chocolate right now!

Debbie Palmer just emailed the Relief Society a great idea...

"I just wanted to share what we've been doing for years with all of that halloween candy. As soon as we get back from getting the treats, we go in the living room and pour out the candy. Then the kids pick about half of their candy and we put it into ziploc bags for the freezer. Then come Decemer, we make gingerbread houses and we already have our candy! The kids don't feel cheated out of their candy because we're still keeping it, yet they don't eat it off of the houses because after a few days of being on display it's 'gross' and they don't want to eat it before a few days because of the novelty of it being new. We do snack on it while we're making the gingerbread houses. This saves money in December because we don't have to buy candy for decorations, it saves money from the dentist bill and it prevents at least half of the candy from entering their systems. They usually still have tons to keep them happy too."

You could probably also find a place to donate it instead of trashing it if you don't want the kids to eat it all...

Saquel25 said...

Those are some good ideas. I will definitely freeze some tomorrow with the kids participation. Then they will know they still have it but not for right now. It is a shame to just throw it out. Wish I could send some your way. We seriously have so much. We used to be going around pushing a stroller but now it's just three kids sprinting from house to house. We covered way more ground and we had to keep up with them.

Mamapierce said...

Cute pictures! Yes, on Halloween it's hard to resist candy! We even bought some here in Ukraine - because you can't NOT eat it on Oct 31st! :o)