Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Straight As or Average?

Today we had Parent Teacher Conferences at school. Leia's was first. What was different to last year is that her teacher accepts her personality (flighty and social) and doesn't try to keep her seen but not heard. Leia is meeting requirements for second grade and is happy and well adjusted at school. She is not top of the class or anything but I like that. This hasn't always been the easiest thing for me. I was a straight A student myself and I don't think I was happier for it. I put a lot of pressure on myself and derived a lot of my self esteem from my performance at school. I'll never forget the frequent bouts of tonsilitis I had during my High School years. A result no doubt of stress.
And then there was Spencer's conference. He is also meeting requirements for Kindergarten and his teacher has no major concerns with his progress. I admit I was worried about him. During Pre-School he was resistant to learning and had sometimes been combattant with his teacher. His teacher told us the worst thing that he has done is to take extra long turns on the class tricycle during recess which is no shocker since if he could, he would eat, sleep and breathe things with wheels.
So for now we have no geniuses in the family. I am well and truly delighted to have two wonderful yet academically average children. They love to go to school and what could be better than happy kids? And the school district here is fabulous. They are so well funded. The school has wonderful programs for music, art, and computers to name a few.
Now if we could just sell that house in Ohio life would be pretty great! However, I'm endeavouring to "enjoy the journey" as someone we love very much said recently. The small things will work out in the end.

2 comments:

Mamapierce said...

I was the opposite of you in school - I rarely applied myself and sometimes wonder how well I could have done had I actually studied and prepared more. Additionally, I don't think that those we are called a genius were determined to be so in kindergarten or 2nd grade. ;o)

Anonymous said...

School is such a tricky type of life. It's amazing any of us survive at all! I'm glad the kiddos are happy and doing well!