Thursday, October 23, 2008

Feeding time at the zoo?

Spencer has suddenly started eating loads and loads of food. At breakfast he has upped his one bowl of cereal to two. At lunch we don't always have much time as he goes to school at 12:20 but at dinner he has seriously been filling a hollow leg. I often cook and Spencer has in the past eaten a couple of bites and been satisfied. The other night, he ate three helpings of a brand new dish I made. Now this is weird because he normally sniffs and picks at anything new. In the end I estimate he ate about as much as Gary and I did. I made a risotto the other night and he also ate a second helping and has since asked me to cook it again. He has not cut back on his snacks at all. He can usually put away a piece of fruit, a granola bar, some fish crackers, and sometimes some chips in between all his meals. Tonight we ate tacos and often he is full after one or two at the very most. He inhaled three with no problems whatever. Do five year olds go through growth spurts? Leia doesn't seem to have changed her food intake at all over the last few years. I didn't think he would stay stuck at 37lbs for ever but what if he just elongates like a string bean?

4 comments:

Rachel Hall said...

This is weird, the Spencer I know eats like a bird at mealtimes!! I guess he must be having a growth spurt! On the other hand, I am waiting for Max to slow down a little - he is gaining weight so fast and getting taller and taller. I bought him some new sleepsuits last week which had loads of room in them. Now they fit just fine!

Anonymous said...

It's normal. I'm going through the same thing with N~. He has always been a super picky and light eater. Now, he is constantly telling me that he is hungry. I go through it with the other boys at times, too. Maybe the spurts are just more pronounced in boys?

Mamapierce said...

Very normal. We've discovered that our son, Keith, can put away as much as Tyler does - it's amazing what these boys can EAT!

Lilola said...

and sometimes they eat and eat and eat and don't spurt... they are saving up - then they go (swoosh!) through the roof! LOL