Tuesday, February 17, 2009

As if a stomach bug wasn't enough!

It's been a couple of days of blah. On Sunday afternoon, Leia developed a high fever, as did Spencer by Monday afternoon. So it's hang out in the house for us with plenty of Tylenol and Ibuprofen. They have complained of bad headaches and sore throats but they are the only other symptoms. They probably have tonsilitis as I have years of experience and recognise what's going on. The fever thing is just the worst though. Even when Leia has taken tylenol and ibuprofen, her fever doesn't seem to get below 99.7. Spencer's seems easier to control and he can't understand or will not understand why we aren't going anywhere or doing anything.
Yesterday, I thought Spencer seemed a little hot but at that point I hadn't taken his temperature. I had planned on taking the boys to the park. Leia was going to get in the backseat of the car and watch a movie wrapped in her afghan. I would then drive to the park with the boys riding their bikes alongside. We had barely been there for 10 minutes when Spencer was complaining about his throat and wanting to come back home (This would NEVER happen if he was feeling well). Sure enough he had a full blown fever. It still doesn't stop him from asking every few hours if we can go swimming or to the gym or some other activity.
I had a lot of plans for today. I was hoping they'd be feeling better but they both woke with 102 plus temperatures.
On Demand has saved my life today. They had Bedknobs and Broomsticks in the movies section and me and Leia cuddled up on the couch to watch it. This used to be one of my favorite movies as a kid and Leia really liked it too. She keeps trying to say the spell to turn someone into a rabbit for any of you who are familiar. But the boys weren't all that thrilled. Spencer kept complaining that the witch wasn't scary or wicked but the battle scene at the end drew a few laughs. Anything slapstick is just up Spencer's alley. I highly recommend it for your kids if they haven't seen it. Older kids though. 6+. Now they are watching Caspar. It seems to be entertaining which gives me the time to vent a little. I feel a little like a vampire stuck indoors until Gary gets home from work when I'll venture out to relieve my cabin fever tonight. The wind is howling around the house and we are very cosy but I think on the whole I'd prefer to be outside in the wind. It's more than 50 degrees outside so we could still get in some fresh air if everyone was tip top. Here's hoping tomorrow will be less of a rum old day. I hate seeing the kids with their hot cheeks, crying because their head hurts so much if they move. Knowing my luck Nathan will have a fever by tomorrow morning, or maybe I will.

3 comments:

jennifer said...

I absolutely loved Bedknobs and Broomsticks as a kid!

Hope everyone feels better soon.

Mamapierce said...

Sorry for the blah days. I hope the weather will perk up and that you will be blessed with a house of health! xoxo

Anonymous said...

Ah, the joys of nursing the sickies! We're currently being attacked by the stomach flu--wahoo! The only upside is that the kids are fairly calm and quiet! And I have a wonderful steam cleaner and some color safe bleach! ;) Thanks for the tips on the strawberries---I'll be posting a pic of them soon!