Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Detox

I have recently been reading a book about how modern living is creating a toxic childhood for our children. This toxic culture consists of several things including unhealthy food, television, fear of letting them play outside, lack of sleep, and celebrity culture. As a result I have been watching myself almost obsessively, trying to make sure that I am creating a healthy and enriching environment for my children to grow up in.

I set off to drive Spencer to school with the intention of continuing from there to the gym. But as I was contemplating putting Nathan into the daycare where he would most likely be watching TV or listening to older children whom I don't know, I decided to change my plans. One of the points made in the book is that children need to spend time in grassy places meaning outside enjoying nature. So Nathan and I went to Carriage Hill and spent the afternoon walking around. We visited the animals and their new babies, and went for a long walk through the park.

The weather was fantastic. It was overcast so we could walk around with our short sleeves without sweating or feeling uncomfortable. Nathan was babbling away to me the whole time about the airplanes (which seemed to be very plentiful today), and something about finding treasure. He is such a wonderful and joyful boy. It was so peaceful sharing the afternoon with just my little boy and nature. He was just as content as could be. All my children thrive on individual attention from Mom or Dad and I love to give it to them. It's not always easy to achieve so the three afternoons I have with Nathan while Spencer is at school is a real gift.

My only regret is that I was wearing my gym shoes which normally only see tarmac and the inside of the gym and my house. But there are worse things in life to have to worry about!

4 comments:

Mamapierce said...

You're such a good mom! What a fun mama/son outing! :o)

nicole said...

That's awesome Sarah! I totally know how you're feeling! Sometimes, when I look at my kids glued to a movie like zombies, I just have this urge to get them outside. Luckily, it's been nicer out, so we get to do that more often. And we're totally up for a day of treasure hunting with you guys one of these days! I would love to read that book when you're finished. :)

Rachel Hall said...

i am also reading that book and so far its great stuff. i am reading it whilst breastfeeding Max - whilst previously i have been flicking on the TV for the feeds and feeling like a total couch potato - i feel very righteous for reading such a worthy book instead!

Anonymous said...

You're an awesome mom! It seems to take more and more energy to keep our kids just kids these days. Mentioning looking for treasures, if you like being out of doors - you should look into letterboxing. It's something we just started and really love it. Just google it.