Monday, November 5, 2007

Paccie gone?

Recently we couldn't find Nathan's pacifier at bedtime. Gary suggested that we just put him to bed, tell him it was gone and see what happened. Well we told him and he went to sleep without crying or fussing or anything. The next day at naptime and at bedtime and again today at naptime and bedtime he has said the same thing to me while staring at me with his big blue eyes. He said "Paccie gone?". It sounds silly but it makes me really sad. I want to go and find it and give it to him. He is accepting it so well but why shouldn't he have his comfort object? Leia still sucks her thumb and why not? Because the boys sucked on pacifiers we have felt the need to take it away at some point but it is so comforting to them. It is like me reading every night before I go to sleep. That's my pacifier and I'd be very upset if I couldn't have it. All I can say is that he's a trooper and growing up so fast. On another note, Spencer has been sneaking Leia's Leapster into his bedroom every evening. He is so good at it because when I go in to read him a story I can never see it anywhere. Tonight after I had tucked Leia into bed, I was cleaning up downstairs and she came running down the stairs. She says to me, "I just tried to find my video game and it's not anywhere. I bet that pesky little brother took it. Can you go and get it for me?". So I snuck up the stairs and opened Spencer's door. Sure enough he was laying on his bed with her leapster. I'm not sure if he is just fascinated by it or whether he can understand and play it. I guess I'll have to allow him to use it supervised to see if he is ready for his own. It was quite funny. Especially that Leia already sees him as a "pesky little brother".

2 comments:

Mamapierce said...

Awww, that makes me want to buy a pacifier for Nathan myself. Poor little guy. I understand what you mean, though, when is it time to restrict those comfort items--and is there ever a time??

Anonymous said...

I think you should just let him have it - there's no need for him to have it during the day, but I don't see a problem during the night - my pacifier was my teddy Polo and I was still cuddling him in bed when I was at university!!

Having said that I am a very soft Aunty who is a real push over when it comes to her blond haired and blue eyed Asp relatives!

Rach x