Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Scaling it back

This week I think I have taken on a bit too much. I decided to paint Leia's bedroom. Ever since we moved in she has been on at me to do her room. It has been three years since she has been in a truly personalized space of her own. We left her pink bedroom in Ohio to move into a rental house and even though she had her things it never felt like HER room. So Saturday we went and picked out a paint color. It's called Berry Punch.

I made a goal to get her room painted this week. Of course that doesn't cancel out all the other stuff I have to do like provide three meals a day for 6 people, do probably 6 loads of laundry, make sure toilets are clean, and workout at least three times this week (a goal I set myself over the last few months).

Yesterday was quite hard. I had to go out to run a few errands, I had to finish the first coat in Leia's room, wash Oliver's bed linen, and clean one of the bathrooms. I also had to do the regular stuff. So there I was in Leia's room at 4pm rolling the walls, the kids come home from school and literally BEG me to take them to Skate City for a school fundraising event. I was looking lovely as you can imagine and dinner wasn't even yet in the works.

As I sat in Skate City I realized that if I'm grumpy and stressed at all of my family, all the achievements won't matter much. This morning I am watching my friend's little boy and Oliver had a temperature when he woke up. So the working out is off for today. I am struggling with taking a break from the painting. I just want to get it done. If Oliver is settled this afternoon I might push to get that done so that I can go back to being super Mom.

And I also had to deal with Leia this morning. She pulled another "I don't feel good" thing. I could tell she was tired and sore from going to Skate City last night. She and Spencer were tearing around the hall at pretty good speeds and doing plenty of tumbling as well.
There was a "Donuts with Dad" event at school this morning at 7.45am and when Gary left with the kids, Leia had realized that I was concerned about their health since I had discovered Oliver's temperature.

Sure enough, Gary brought Leia home with him after the breakfast. It's hard to always be the bad guy since a few tears from Leia convinces Gary she's on death's door every time. But she had no temperature, no other real symptoms aside from fatigue from a late night and probably sore tummy muscles which she interpreted as a tummy ache. Skating definitely engages the core muscles and they don't do it all that often. So I took away the half eaten donut, gave her one slice of whole wheat toast and asked Gary to take her back to school. More tears ensued which made it even harder for Gary to take her back. If he hadn't brought her home in the first place it would have been a whole lot easier.

So I'm endeavoring to give myself a bit of a break. If I don't finish Leia's room by the weekend (although I most likely will), or a clean floor has to give way to cuddling a hot little baby then oh well! And since I've lost 15lbs since I started my "taking care of myself" goal, I guess one less workout this week won't make a massive amount of diference.

Pictures to follow........

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Poor Leia - I remember trying several times to pull a sickie from school, and Mum never ever bought into it - somehow she just knew when I was faking it. I remember the tears and the insisting that I was poorly and telling her she was mean!! Can't wait till March!! xxx

Mamapierce said...

I know what you're talking about. We painted Anna's room purple in OH. Now we're renting here in FL, so I don't have as much desire to spend money on paint when we won't be here for more than a few more years. I am, however, trying to make the play room more fun and lively. Are you using any vinyl decorations in Leia's room? They are SUPER cute!

Cumorah said...

It really is amazing how being a mom - you're expected to do it ALL! We've been in our home for two years, and haven't painted a single wall...so you're way ahead of me! Good luck with all, and congrats on the 15 pounds! That's awesome!

Colleen said...

My two oldest pull the "sick" card too when they are tired...until about an hour after school begins, then they are peachy and energetic all day. The new rule is no visible symptoms like a fever or barfing, no staying home. It makes me feel mean, but otherwise I'm just irritated all day because they aren't sick and stayed home! That's the mom life though right?! At least you got good points for getting the room painted! :) And hooray for weight loss! It always feels so good to see results.