Friday, January 14, 2011

I'll be sleeping in tomorrow!

Today has been a mixed bag all around. I went to a Pride Assembly at the kids' school and Leia got an award for reading as well as for scoring proficient/advanced proficient in all her work. She's taking some pride in her school work at long last. It only took Kindergarten-4th grade to get there!

Then I had a friend come over and bring lunch. We chatted for a few hours and I really love the company of this particular friend.

Then later Gary came home from work so I could take Oliver to a 4.40pm doctor's appointment. I enjoyed a lovely 40 minute wait in the office with a very fussy 11 month old who just wants to crawl around and poke through people's purses. Sure enough, he has an ear infection again. The doctor asked me what pharmacy I'd like the prescription sent to and I told her.

I arrived at the pharmacy at about 5.45pm and no prescription had been sent. I waited about 15 minutes. Still no prescription. Then I called Gary and he called the doctor for me. They had sent it to the wrong pharmacy and said they would fax it in right away. By 6.20pm, still no prescription. I decided to take Oliver home since he was miserable and feeding him and putting him to bed couldn't be put off.

I took him home to Gary and turned around again to go back to the Pharmacy. When I got there, there was still no prescription. I was feeling extremely angry and a bit silly at this point. I got Gary to call the doctor and get mad. It's not like I was waiting for some medical marijuana. It was antibiotics for an 11 month old baby with an ear infection that has been causing night time pain for the last two nights and temperatures of 102-103 degrees. Eventually the doctor got on the phone with the pharmacist at 7pm (lucky I guess that my doctor stays open until then). I eventually left the pharmacy at about 7.25pm.

While I was waiting the 20 minutes for them to fill the prescription I was sorely tempted to buy lots of chocolate and eat it. I always want to do that when I'm stressed. I also wanted to hop on over to Mcdonalds and get a large fries and milkshake. And I'm not going to lie and say I didn't want a box of croissants as well. But I made a commitment to putting myself first and I know how I feel when I eat things that aren't good for me. I am worth the effort!

So when I finally got home and made myself some whole wheat toast, I opened up my computer to discover an email from Spencer's teacher informing me that he threatened to beat a little boy up at school today. It sounds bad and definitely unacceptable but Spencer likes to follow the crowd and is very influenced by others. He is often convinced that bad behavior is somehow cool. I don't think he'd actually hit someone but what if I do have a thug in my house disguised as a rather cute 7 year old? Maybe I should have bought the chocolate!

This week has exhausted me. I don't really have a brain cell left to consider how we're going to deal with Spencer. But at least my happy, contented baby should be back very soon, and I decorated Leia's room. The house is pretty tidy. I let a few things slide but it's not at all unbearable. I don't want a sick baby and a room to paint on top of my normal routine every week but I made it through.

* For those who were wondering, Leia loves her new room and I didn't exactly do the wall art myself. The flowers are vinyl wall decals and the butterflies are little mirrors. I just applied them artistically. To be honest it required a little ingenuity since the textured walls do not lend themselves easily to this type of project but I'm pleased with how it turned out.

2 comments:

Mamapierce said...

Sorry about the prescription. That stinks. Wish I could come over for a few hours to hang out with you. Miss our time together in OH...still hoping for a PCS to Colorado next! *fingers crossed*

xx

Anonymous said...

Love the willpower! Way to put yourself first, especially in emotional stressand temptation! Doctors are usually lots better at getting theirprescriptions in during the patient's appt.or quickly after. What a pain to have had to wait!

We've had some threats at home from Isaac to his siblings. It has taken a while, but we've been successful at helping him to understand that threats aren't a good way to get what you want. If you want tips feel free to call or email.
Good luck with Spencer!