Friday, August 14, 2009

Girl time!

It's been a lovely afternoon and evening. Gary got home from work about 1pm and he and the boys packed up the car. I had already put clothing together for the boys and made foil dinners for them. I tried not to appear too anxious to get them out the door but the boys had been bouncing off the walls all morning and I needed some peace and quiet. Fortunately Gary had already pre-planned and most things like tent, sleeping bags, lawn chairs etc were ready to go. We took the obligatory picture of them all standing by the car grinning from ear to ear and then Leia and I waved them off. BIG SIGH OF RELIEF!
I actually got to take a shower at 2 in the afternoon without worrying about the house crashing down around my ears. Leia watched icarly (which by the way I worry may affect her permanently) and I got dressed. We both squirted ourselves with some Bath and Body Works goodies and then we headed out the door.
We wandered around Borders and picked out a few things. Leia got a diary that locks, one of those things you just HAVE to have when you're 8 because your pesky brothers might be able to read it although they can't actually read at least not well enough to decipher Leia's handwriting. There was not one complaint as we wandered around the mall. I even got to check out the maternity clothes in Old Navy which I just have to say have the WORST selection I've ever seen. Totally not inspired by a single piece of clothing.
On the way out we popped into one of those cheesy photo booths and had a pretend charcoal drawing of ourselves done.
Then it was off to Olive Garden for dinner. I ended up regretting my decision. I usually go for a dish which has gorgonzola cheese in it. Well it's on the no no list for pregos so I decided to be good. I chose something new which wasn't half as good as what my usual would have been. I don't know why I did that. I haven't given up sushi and I know I often exceed my weekly allowance of tuna. Next time I'll throw caution to the wind. It was just fab to sit there with Leia and talk about such momentous things as who she's sitting next to at school this year and how she's going to be a little nervous this year because I won't be walking her in on her first day like last year. (This year we know the drill ahead of time and she's taking the bus.)
We ordered a dessert to go and came home to cuddle up on the couch and watch "The Secret Garden". I've been looking forward to sharing movies with her that don't involve animation of any kind and that I can enjoy too. I used to love The Secret Garden when I was a kid. She's also started getting into other books I used to enjoy as a kid too. I don't know why that tickles me but I LOVE it!
After the movie and dessert she went happily off to bed. I know she's busily writing about her day in her diary and then hiding it so the boys won't be able to find it.
Each of my children satisfy a part of me that the others can't. Spending time with Leia is just something else. She's such good company. She appreciates every aspect of life and expresses it. I can guarantee that she will send me thankyou notes for today and maybe she'll even attempt to make me something.
Well it's not over yet. We still have a special breakfast planned before the three stinking filthy mounntain men come back through the front door!


Aside from the glare on my glasses, I think this is a close to perfect pic of the two of us.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

That sounds wonderful! Girl time with Leia is so GREAT! I will love that when my little girly arrives and gets to that age! I totally hear you on the Old Navy maternity clothes selection - absolute rubbish - but don't worry - I shall be sending a bunch of clothes your way come October - including some really cute bits from a shop over here called 'Blooming Marvellous' and all the stuff I got when I was with you. Love you xx

Mamapierce said...

What a fun time together! That picture of you two is adorable. I love the age that Anna & Leia are in - so fun to be around and it's unbelieveable how much they have to say!!! Miss you and OUR girl time together. xoxo

Anonymous said...

Sounds like two peas in a pod havin' fun! I'm so glad you got to get out and have some fun with jut you and Leia--I can't believe how crazy it is, but time sure flies and our kids are growing up!
miss you!
xoxo