Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Bear with me

I need some sympathy and writing is very cathartic for me. I have had the worst morning of my life. I decided to go the YMCA to work out. You would think that the universe would consider this a commendable endeavour and look upon me with favor but alas this was not to be. When we arrived, the boys decided they didn't want to wear their jackets anymore and I became distracted. I put my keys in my purse which is my autopilot response as to what to do with my keys. Then, in my brain that was obviously not firing on all cylinders this morning, I knew I was going into the gym where I don't take my purse so I closed the doors leaving my purse containing my keys on the front passenger seat. Result: I'm locked out. I said a word in my head that I would never say out loud.
Okay, fine. I can call Gary's cell phone from inside the gym and he will have left his work number on his answering message. No problem. Inside the gym, the woman behind the desk looks at me somewhat quizzically when I request the use of the phone. I try dialing Gary's cell but it won't let me. When I inquire as to why this is, she informs me that the phone can only dial the local area code and Gary's cell number has a different code. Why is this????? I'm not dialing long distance. I am frustrated and when I ask if there's any way around this she simply shrugs unhelpfully.
At this point I go into the bathroom to collect my thoughts and come up with another plan. I decide that I will ask the childcare staff who seem a lot nicer than the woman at the front desk if one of them has a cell phone I can borrow. Thankfully I am allowed the use of a phone which can dial any area code and I listen to Gary's message.
"Hi this is Gary, I'm not around at the moment, please leave a message." What??? As far as I knew, Gary always has several alternate numbers he can be reached at in case of need. He is the type of guy who likes to be contactable 24/7. Panic is starting to course through my veins. The childcare lady suggests that maybe their maintenance man has resourses and I should ask at the front desk. I return reluctantly to the front desk and explain my predicament and inquire if they have a maintenance person who could maybe help me out. She places a call. Sorry, he can't help. At this moment I have a deer in headlights look on my face but she is still unmoved. I have a phonebook is all she can say. They don't even have an internet connection which would give me an outside chance of finding out Gary's work number. Classified work centers are not listed in the phone book.
I once again return to the bathroom to compose myself. I finally decide that I am going to have to call a very new friend and pray that her number is listed and that she is at home. I'm not liking my chances but it's my very last plan. Her number is there and she is at home. She agrees to come and pick me up so I can use her computer at her home and call Gary to come and rescue me. This new friend is the nicest person and the relief at seeing her arrive 3 minutes after I call her is indescribable.
I feel like an idiot as we drive to her home but I am soon back to myself again due to the fact that she has an adorable Yorkie to cuddle and Gary arrives to help me get the car and go home to an endless loop of WALL-E.
On reflection, I'm sure that after all it was not the absolute worst morning of my life but it felt like it as it was happening. All 20-30 minutes of excruciating uncertainty. I've been keeping a gratitude journal this month and today my entry will definitely include gratitude for my wonderful new friend who has chosen to allow her number to be listed in the phonebook and in a few days my entries will I'm sure include gratitude for her again if I'm convinced that this episode hasn't made her conclude that I'm a lunatic.
I feel better now!

6 comments:

Mommo said...

So sorry you day started out so terrible. On the positive note...it can only get better. :)
I have lately been keeping a notebook when I get frustrated about things. I wonder if I am allowing too much to bother me etc. By writing things down it helps me see if my feelings are valid or a little off balance. In this case...I would have been equally as frustrated. Glad it worked out and thank goodness for this wonderful friend!

Anonymous said...

What about gratitude for your wonderful, terrific, dedicated, talented, handsome, caring, loving, hot husband who dropped everything and broke the sound barrier getting to you?

jennifer said...

Oh, how NOT FUN. Sorry you had to go through that - that stinks!

Mamapierce said...

You poor thing!!! I'm glad that your sweet friend could help save the day! :o)

Jenn said...

Sorry you had such a crazy morning! What a great friend you have. I'm positive she doesn't think you are a lunatic - it happens to all of us.

Hope your trip to the Y will be more uneventful in the future!

Anonymous said...

Aren't whiny kids the best?! I've locked myself out so many times that I think our roadside assistance people wish I would get a new hobby!;) My last episode was also at the Y!
Satisfaction (or the lack thereof) comments left at the Y go a long way.