Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Someday you will be in my shoes

Today I had a complete meltdown over the state of the children's bedrooms. I don't know why I can't let go but I am so much more comfortable in tidiness. My first instinct is to throw things away rather than keep things (nothing important of course). Leia's room wasn't just covered with her things but with all the laundry baskets from the laundry room, all the blankets she could round up, all the cushions from the sofas, all the sponge blocks we have plus another piece of furniture that doesn't belong in her room. I couldn't have placed a foot into her room without treading on something. I was so mad the children spent an hour in their rooms in complete silence while I took some time out in my own bedroom. But as I lay there it was completely spoiled because I just felt bad. It was as if I had a weight on my chest. The kids are imaginitive and they like to build things and play at school, restaurant, and many other little games they have. In a few short (but seemingly long) weeks they'll be back to school and I will have the house to myself again. I can de-clutter to my heart's content.
Well I promised Leia a girls night to paint nails and watch something truly horrible like Hannah Montana if she could keep her room tidy for a week. She seemed excited and I felt better for trying to spin the whole thing positively instead of negatively. Still I felt like I needed a pick me up.
We decided to go and eat dinner out. We hardly ever do this and so the kids were so over excited. I had a bit of concern over how they would behave. They tend to speak in loud voices and laugh very loudly. Thankfully they were quite good. We sat in a booth. Gary wanted to sit next to me and convinced me to let the kids share the opposite bench. There were a few moments, since anything Leia or Spencer do that is construed to be the least bit funny, Nathan copies many times over.
When we were finished, we asked for the bill. The waiter came over with not just the bill but a little note from the lady who had been sitting at the next table.

Dear Folks
I'm a mother, grandmother, and great grandmother. I've admired how your children have behaved. It reminds me of my younger years 55+ years ago. Therefore I will be more than happy to treat you to half the price of your dinner. You've made my day. God Bless You. Someday you will be in my shoes. Love :)

Well I was literally floored. The lady had left as she wanted to be anonymous and had paid half the bill. I felt like crying. It was such a blessing. Not really the money but just the kind words of encouragement. It's hard to keep perspective sometimes but she's right. One day we will be all on our own and won't have to wade through mountains of mess. At that point the funny thing is that we might even miss it. I wished I could have hugged that lady and told her how much I needed her today.
On the way home we were in the party mood. We put on Michael Jackson and the kids bounced around in their seats. His music is just timeless. The kids had never heard of Michael Jackson until the endless news coverage of his death a few weeks ago and now they are fans.
Spencer asked Gary if he wore his ring all the time. Gary said of course because if he didn't then women would be swarming all over him. "So the ring is a shield?" asked Leia. I love the way the kids believe that their Dad is some kind of ladykiller! Although I'm not necessarily disagreeing. He is my man after all and laughter was a great way to wind up a day that didn't start out so great but finished pretty spectacularly.

5 comments:

Diana said...

wow, your story is touching. i've been reminded twice today that there are good people in the world willing to give small acts of kindness. maybe things aren't as bad as they seem sometimes!

Rachel said...

Read Moroni 7:29-30. Love you xx

nicole said...

Aww! What a great experience. Sounds like another tender mercy from the Lord. It's amazing how he touches us through other people on those days when we most need it.
I know what you mean about the "stuff". It drives me crazy sometimes. Now that we moved, we have totally simplified. I decided to have nothing in their rooms upstairs except a dresser for their clothes, and some books (and one toy they can sleep with). That's it! So ALL the toys belong downstairs in the playroom. That way, I'm not tripping over them all day. And we have a donation box in the closet to get rid of what we don't need. I hope you find a solution that helps. I can TOTALLY relate to your need for order.

Mamapierce said...

What a wonderful gesture. You are a great mom - I totally know what you mean about having the house tidy. Miss you! xoxo

Anonymous said...

It seems like forever since I've come on over for a sneaky peak into your life! We've been offline for a couple weeks so I'm just now finding out about your renting nightmare! I'm SO SORRY!! I can't believe what a MESS they left--how sick and wrong!! Hopefully it will seel quickly and you can be rid of the headache!

It's been great reading up on your latest adventures--kids are the best. Being preggo and Mom to energetic kids is so tough! The Lord knows that and loves you so much. You are a wonderful Mom and I've learned so much from you. Just remember--you're and optimist, the positive spin is always the best way to go!
Miss you! xo