Monday, January 26, 2009

Sore throat

I don't know what it is about a sore throat that disables me but whenever I have one my world seems to come to a standstill. I could feel it coming on last night and I knew I was in for a bad night. I woke up several times feeling like my throat was on fire. I knew I didn't have anything around the house that would help so I stayed in bed and just toughed it out. This morning I got up to discover that Nathan had decided to decorate the basement with an entire roll of toilet paper. He had also squeezed a bunch of soap down the toilet???? Now I'm not asking my children to be completely rational but sometimes Nathan's behavior in particular leaves me scratching my head.
As I drove Leia to the bus stop, the bus driver made me smile. He's an older guy - maybe 60s, and he always looks happy to see the kids. Leia tells me that he jokes with them and they all fight to sit on the seat right behind him. I think this comes from two years of riding the bus to school myself but there is nothing worse than a grumpy bus driver. I think it's adding insult to the injury of being up so early often in the bitter cold.
Now this morning the temperature is in the teens and it's snowing. With feeling so yuck I couldn't bear to take off my sweats. They are the ultimate in comfort especially since the scent of the fabric softener I use is so comforting. I decided to just keep them on while I went to the store for some sore throat relief.
As we drove toward the store instead of going back home once Leia was on the bus, Spencer said, "Where are we going?"
"To the store", I replied.
"In your pajammies?" he asked incredulously.
"Yes", I said.
"But everyone will laugh at you", he observed.
Thankfully no none batted an eye. My sweats don't really look like pajamas either!
And after I had loaded up on throat lozenges, Vicks Chloraseptic, Tylenol, noodles, fruit juice, and yes, even chocolate I was able to finally collapse here on the sofa. All I really want to do is go to sleep but with two energetic sons it won't happen.
It's strangely quiet downstairs. I guess that means my reign here on the sofa is at an end.

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Wish I could watch your boys for you. M and T would love that! That is great you were able to dose up on some meds. Hopefully you start feeling better soon. You could try gargling a little vinegar in a lot of water a few times during the day. This seems to help cure my sore throat very quickly. Caution: Vinegar water is extremely gross (I only do it cause it seems to work wonders.) Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Mamapierce said...

I'm sorry you're sick. That's not any fun. When I have a sick throat I like to drink echinacea tea or hot water with lemon and honey in it. I've heard that hot water with cayenne pepper is also effective - but I have yet to try it. Good luck and feel better soon!

nicole said...

You crack me up. I've decided it's no use trying to figure out little boys and their mischievious minds. Believe me, I've tried! The basement toilet paper decor sounds way too familiar! Hope you feel better soon. :) xoxo