Monday, September 1, 2008

Labor Day

We made new friends yesterday at church. We were invited to a couple's home for dinner after church and then we all decided to go hiking today. We drove up into the mountains and went for a small hike on Cheyenne Mountain. Between us we had 7 kids, 5 of which were quite small so we couldn't do anything too strenuous. But the mountains around here are so accessible to every age group. There were those who were mountain biking steep inclines and then there were 1, 2, 3, mile up to all day trails. You can even drive all through and up the mountains if you don't want to or can't walk/bike them. It was absolutely beautiful and a perfect way to spend labor day. For those of you who will be coming to visit us (you know who you are) are in for the best time and are going to LOVE it here. It's like being on vacation but I live here.
But for those of you who are wondering, I haven't thoughtlessly forgotten Ohio and all of my friends. All of you - Shannon, Jill, Michele, Nicole, Jen, Jen, Jana, Cindy, and all my other friends who do and don't blog, are very much on my mind. Ohio still feels like home and I miss you all very much. It's going to take a long while for this place to feel like home no matter how wonderful it is.
We were driving yesterday and we had this conversation.

Nate: Isaac's my friend (meaning Issac Palmer)

SHORT SILENCE FOLLOWED BY SOBS

Leia: I have a true love

Me: Who might that be?

Leia: Joseph. But now I'm like Buttercup in the Princess Bride who is forced to marry someone who's not her true love.

MORE SOBBING

Gary tries to explain that even had we not moved, the Palmers would have. The cool logic didn't move a tired and overexcited 7 year old (surprisingly!)

Spencer: Don't worry Leia. I'll marry you because I'll always love you.

I think the distractions of school are much needed! Here are some pictures from today.




Our new home in the background


The whole crew


Beats the Smoky Mountains, and the Blue Ridge Mountains in our humble opinions

4 comments:

Mamapierce said...

What beautiful scenery! We miss you, too! It's not the same without you here. :o(

Anonymous said...

ha ha! Poor nathan! He and Isaac seemed to be real buddies even if most of their friendship involved jumping on eachother in the mat room! Leia cracks me up! I'll have to have Joseph send her an email! I'm glad you are loving up the country side for me!! It is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

How funny! Leia always cracks me up! Ahh to be 7 again! I'm so glad you are adjusting to life out there. It is truly beautiful! Enjoy!

nicole said...

We're missing you. I heard about your dad yesterday. I'm so sorry. You guys are in our thoughts and prayers. xoxo