Friday, August 29, 2008

Travelogue chapter two

Well folks, we arrived today at about 3pm mountain time. And I was surprised by quite a few things. For one, I had expected Colorado Springs to be composed of lots of little settlements kind of like the Dayton area but it's just one big sprawling metropolis. It's going to take me a while to suss this place out, that's for sure. And then since the rocky mountains are so huge I didn't expect to actually see them up close. A distant view was more what I was expecting. Anywhere you are in Colorado Springs, you can see the mountains but if you want to get really close then you only have to drive for a few minutes. They are breathtaking and right there. Once Gary goes to work on Tuesday and I set out to explore on my own I will have to be careful to pay attention to the road instead of the view. It most definitely reminds me of the mountainous region of England that I love so much, just all on a bigger scale. I am pretty exhausted so I haven't gotten too excited yet but I think it's the beginning of a love affair.

Items of note:

- Driving through Kansas which was mostly very flat and very uninhabited, we came across a wind farm that was absolutely huge. As the turbines came into view the boys were fascinated. Spencer asked us a question if you can believe it. He asked "Why are the windmills following us?" It was quite a job explaining that we were the ones that were moving and not the turbines. They were very majestic and imposing. I think the sight was a little intimidating to him.

- Also in Kansas we came across some more motorcycle riders who were anxious to condole with Gary as he was towing the bike rather than riding it. Whilst speaking with them we got invited to a church service on the top of Pikes Peak on Sunday which is the tallest mountain around here. It was quite tempting although we have our new ward to go to. It would be hard to fit all five of us on the bike seeing as it's also a biking thing. But many prophets of old climbed mountains to speak with God. I can see how it would be conducive to worship.

- During the final hour in the car the kids were at the end of their rope. The boys decided to take their sandals off and smell each other's feet while laughing hysterically. It kept them amused but the odor was enough to make Gary and I feel nauseauted. As you can imagine, we had more than one reason to be grateful we had finally arrived.

- Our hotel space for the next two weeks has a kitchen, living room and two bedrooms. The smallest bedroom is in a loft area with the bed pushed up against the 3 and a half foot wall. The boys immediately climbed on the bed and started hanging over the wall. I heard Spencer whisper to Nathan. "Hey Nathan, jump off." Since I'm not sure that Nathan isn't silly enough to think he could do it, and he hurls himself over a 14 foot drop and breaks his neck, we have taken the small bedroom upstairs and declared it out of bounds to the children. Spencer and Nathan are now enjoying use of the master suite with attached bathroom and closet. They better enjoy it while it lasts as they will soon be taking up residence in our new basement.

Here are a couple of pictures for your enjoyment.


A moment of peace


I had no idea Colorado was colorful?


This spectacular view was so much better in real life. The way the light was coming through the clouds and illuminating the mountains.

That's all for now.

7 comments:

Mommo said...

Really Sarah....you have no idea how jealous all of this makes me. I miss the mountains and being able to look out the door or window and see them....to drive to them....climb in them and camp in them. You are so in for a great time!

Mamapierce said...

Hooray! You've made it! I'm excited to see what you think of the place you're going to rent! :o)

Lilola said...

The mountains are beautiful to look at, but I'm not much for camping, hiking and climbing. I'm so glad you are enjoying it.
And the boys smelling each others feet is hysterical. Why is it that boys can think of such insanity? LOL

Rachel Hall said...

I am so glad you have arrived! I too am jealous of the wonderful scenery - I am sure the mountains will remind you of those wonderful childhood memories we have of hiking around the humbler English mountains with Mum, Dad, and Simon the hero! Cana't wait to speak to you soon. Missing you as always! xxx

Chocolate Inspector said...

Sarah, I'm so glad you wrote about it already! Yes,the mountains are right there, and if you live on the base, you see them every morning. :) Can't believe you're living there, I am jelous! We never did make it up Pikes Peak, so I love that you went there first thing. Enjoy and keep blogging!

Anonymous said...

You know how much i love the mountains! i so wish there were more here! Something about being high up in the cool air, smelling the pines and aspen are so invigorating! Who needs the Y when you can go hiking in your backyard!

Dirk and Trish said...

New to the area tip-find a good map! Many of the roads don't actually run E-W or N-S, they start out one way and then curve to go the opposite. The area is beautiful, but navigating is a nightmare. (Jill's friend)