Saturday, April 23, 2011

The Easter Bunny

Today we were wandering around the mall and the kids got a bug to go and see the Easter Bunny. Now I'm not too fond of the Easter Bunny. In fact I think the whole idea is close to ludicrous. I can get behind Santa as he has his roots in an actual person who did good works and gifts are an integral part of what Christmas is about. But leprechauns and giant bunnies. I don't think so. I've already told the children that I am the Easter Bunny, and although Leia continues to pretend it's not true, I really just want my children to appreciate Easter for what it actually is. A holy holiday which I prefer just to celebrate in church and through devotional activities. I will make devilled eggs tomorrow (mostly because I love them) and the kids will get a small amount of chocolate but generally that is it for me. I do love photos though, and this one is pretty good. I was concerned that Oliver might freak out at the sight of this gigantic bunny, but I think he just thought he was a toy. I love to be with them all and I feel such a sense of self in my role as a mother. As time has gone on, it has become a more and more fulfilling job - if you can call motherhood something as mundane as a job.


You might be able to guess that pictures of my kids with the Easter Bunny are not very plentiful but I was feeling a little nostalgic after I brought the picture home and so here are the only other Easter Bunny pictures I have.


This is Easter 2003. I was 8 months pregnant with Spencer and Leia wouldn't sit with the Bunny unless we both sat with her.

This is Easter 2004. The thing I think of when I look at this picture is how nice that sweater Leia is wearing was. It was lined with a super soft fleece and was nice and heavy so she could wear it as jacket. But their faces say it all. That's why I said yes when a visit to the bunny was suggested today. It's all in good fun (in small doses). There may not be another bunny picture for another 7 years!

And in case you were wondering, the leprechaun does NOT visit the Asp house.

2 comments:

Mamapierce said...

Growing up, the Easter Bunny would hide our Easter baskets full of treats around the house. It was fun to look for them. Nowadays, we try to do our Easter Bunny-related activities on Saturday instead of Sunday. We didn't do that this year - since we're in Russia and I wasn't prepared before Saturday. It's a nice way to enjoy all aspects of the Easter Season. Sure do miss you. xx

Rachel said...

I totally get you on the whole Easter bunny/leprechaun etc thing - however, I do love the easter bunny pics - so keep them coming over the years! I really enjoyed looking back at the old ones - especially as we have nothing like that here in England - in fact, who is the Easter bunny???!!