Friday, July 9, 2010

Lighting

So probably my favorite way to personalize my house is through lighting. When we moved in, Gary really liked all the canned lights in the kitchen. We have 8 of them. Me not so much. I like that they are modern and streamlined but that's about it. I decided that I wanted two pendants over the bar area. We found kits to convert the canned lights to pendants but we had a problem. One light over the sink was on it's own circuit, and the other 7 lights were on a seperate circuit. I wanted two pendants that could be on one circuit so I could choose to have just those two lights on sometimes. I described what I wanted to Gary and sensational husband that he is he climbed up into the attic and re-wired the circuit so I have the two lights over bar area on one circuit and the other 6 on another. We now have two pendants that just make the kitchen glow in the evening. I love them. The picture doesn't do it justice but you can get the idea.

And then I saw a light and fell in love. I was wanting a new light for the dining room area. The fixture that was there was what I'm sure the builder installed in every dining room on the whole street. Unappealing to say the least. I really like drum lights but they can run anywhere from hundreds for ones I like the least up into the thousands for the ones I like the most.

So I saw this lantern type light and couldn't stop thinking about it. Unfortunately it was a plug in light, not hard-wired. I was heartbroken for about five minutes until I convinced Gary to hardwire it for me. He thought about it for a bit and with a tiny bit of breath held he cut off the plug and installed it in the ceiling for me. What a treasure he is. And now I can't stop staring at it.


It's a drum style in the middle with a rattan globe. Perfect.

It also casts a glow that just illuminates the table enough for a romantic dinner for two. Hmmm...that doesn't happen very often but now I have an excuse to make it happen.
As you can see I've painted the walls. It highlights the shutters although once again the pictures don't do it justice.

What do you think? I suspect I may be watching too much HGTV.

2 comments:

Lilola said...

I am addicted to HGTV, but no new house to decorate. Yours looks lovely! Glad to see you blogging again.

Mamapierce said...

It's beautiful, Sarah! You sure do have an eye for what looks nice. :D