Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Apple anyone?

On Sunday we had a mini crisis. The toilet in the bathroom downstairs that the children use became clogged. One of the kids had used it recently and definitely used a large amount of toilet paper but nothing that hasn't been done before.
Our last home had very inadequate pipes and we had spent a lot of time plunging and so when we moved to this four year old house we were celebrating the superior plumbing. But on Sunday this toilet was blocked so badly we were left scratching our heads. We plunged and plunged and plunged and plunged but to no avail. If the toilet was left for about 10-15 minutes it would eventually drain away. The rest of the house was fine so it wasn't the main drain, yet why wasn't the block which we assumed was paper succumb to the endless plunging?
Gary found a $20 snake at Lowes that you hook up to your power drill for small jobs such as sinks, toilets, showers. He brought it home and put it to work except he couldn't get it past the U-bend??? There was nothing for it but to take the toilet off.
I waited patiently upstairs hoping for the best. A few minutes later Gary appeared at the top of the stairs brandishing an apple with maybe three bites taken from it. A snack? Nope. One of the children had tried to flush the apple down the toilet. It had gotten stuck just past the U-bend. Both Nathan and Spencer blame it on each other and I am 100% sure Leia didn't do it. So we now have a nice little snake just in case and my faith in our superior plumbing has been restored. And needless to say, all food is now being eaten at the table in full view of myself or another adult.

5 comments:

Mamapierce said...

Wow - kids are so funny! :o) I'm glad you got it worked out!

Anonymous said...

Gross! I can't believe there was actually a whole apple in the pipes! The fact that it came out in one piece is a miracle! Yea for Gary and a nice pair of gloves!!

Rachel said...

I hope you now feel guilty for blaming the blockage on Leia's poo! xx

Deena said...

I flushed a flip flop down the toilet when I was two. I guess it hurt my foot. My dad had to take the toilet off too.

Deena said...

Merry Christmas to you!

The person who took the picture on my header IS a freakin' genius.