Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Letter to teacher

More and more I find myself asking the question, "Why do my husband's genes seem to trump my own both in looks and personality of all our children?"
I'm not saying this to brag and you can call my Mum to confirm this. I was a VERY conscientious student all throughout school. I wouldn't have dreamed of having a conversation with my neighbor while the teacher was talking or when I was supposed to be doing something. I recently looked back in my very first journal that I wrote when I was about 7 or 8 or something and my handwriting was very neat. Not a very interesting journal certainly but neatly written.
In 3rd Grade at Leia's school, one of the discipline techniques is for the offending student to write a letter to the teacher explaining their behavior. When this happens, the parent gets a copy of it. When I read Leia's letter I had to suppress a smile. She has such a big personality. No wilting violets here!

Dear Mrs. E

I was talking because I sneezed and told Virginia. I am a chatter box. Please forgive me. I am totally sorry. Can I make it up to you?

YOUR BEST STUDENT EVER
Leia

I also had a chance to speak to her teacher and she told me that it's not a big problem at this point but she does spend a lot of time talking. If she doesn't have a neighbor to talk to she will simply talk to herself. She also does everything in a hurry, ready to move on to the next thing.
Sometimes I have a hard time understanding the bright, vivacious, beautiful little girl I have the privilege of calling mine. I admit I don't really know what to do to help her focus at school and talk less. But I do know that she's probably more fun to hang out with than I ever was at her age. And she has been writing a journal lately. Since I peeked into the one I wrote when I was about her age and almost fell asleep I am glad she is who she is. Her journal is a laugh a minute!

5 comments:

Robin said...

AS far as looks go Leia is a mini you. That teacher note is funny!

Mamapierce said...

I laughed out loud when I read that if she doesn't have a neighbor that she talks to herself - too funny!

I highly doubt that you weren't fun to hang out when you were young - I love hanging out with you and if you were in Ohio this minute, I'd be coming over for some fun girl time. xoxo

Rachel said...

Leia is brilliant - always makes me laugh. I miss her tons.

nicole said...

Hilarious! I loved reading this post.

Anonymous said...

Hee hee--she is such a spunky thing! She must have learned the brown-nosing from Gary!